FantasyReader

Traditional Fantasy

Reviews of books traditionally from the Fantasy genre, not Romance, and some science fiction.

Cute YA Fantasy

Ink: A Mermaid Romance: A Falling in Deep Collection Novella - Melanie Karsak

Like many YA stories, this started out with slightly amateurish sentence structure and concepts that don't fit into my Fantasy world view, like the idea of mermaids transforming into human form temporarily, plus too much information dumping in the first chapter. Despite all that, I found myself interested in the story and read on.

It was actually a rather interesting story. Whatever else I might say, I did enjoy reading it. I liked the main character, Ink, and the balance she fund between being an independent personality and having the foresight to think about how her actions would affect her people.

I liked the way the factions were set up and the realism of mer foibles when living among humans.

The drama towards the end could have been more drawn out with suspense and a couple more things going wrong, but overall it was a satisfying conclusion. What it lacks in details and other qualities of great storytelling, it makes up for in good, strong characters and storyline.